This article outlines the causes, treatments and ICD CM 10 code for Hemoptysis.
Hemoptysis ICD 10 Causes
Hemoptysis ICD 10 can have different causes. Common causes that can make the patient cough up blood are:
- short-term acute and long-term chronic lung cancer
- respiratory damage (bronchiectasis)
- chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD)
- congestive heart failure
- mitral stenosis
- crack cocaine use
- foreign bodies in the airways
- inflammatory autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Granulomatosis, Polyangiitis
- microscopic Polyangiitis
- surgeon ostrich syndrome
- goodpasture disease
- Behcet disease of the lung
- non-cancerous lung tumors
- parasitic infections
- pulmonary arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
- pulmonary embo
In some cases doctors cannot find the cause of hemoptysis ICD 10 and the patient can go home after 6 months.
Hemoptysis ICD 10 Treatments
After Hemoptysis ICD 10 is diagnosed, hemoptysis can be treated. Treatment depends on the underlying cause:
- Sudden cough
- bloody or purulent sputum indicating acute pneumonia or bronchitis
- chronic productive cough indicating chronic bronchial or bronchiectasis
- night sweats
- weight loss considered to be linked to other infections or malignant diseases
- weight loss
- changes in cough thought to be possible; bronchogenic carcinoma; dyspnea; fatigue; orthopnea, paroxy.
Treatment may include ice salt solution or topical vasoconstrictors such as adrenaline or vasopressin.
Tranexamic acid has been shown to improve hospital mortality. Laser photocoagulation can be used to stop bleeding during bronchoscopy. Selective bronchial intubation can be used if a collapsed lung or bleeding is present. Endobronchial tamponade can also be used.
Cough medicines can increase the risk of suffocation. An angiography of the bronchial arteries can be performed to locate the bleeding before it embolizes. Bronchial artery embolization (BAE) is the first-line treatment. Surgical options are the last resort and can include the removal of the lung lobe or the removal of an entire lung.
ICD 10 CM Code For Hemoptysis
ICD 10 CM R04.2 Hemoptysis
- Blood-stained sputum
- Cough with hemorrhage