Modifier AU, Modifier AV, and modifier AW are described by HCPCS and identify supplies and equipment that are covered by more than one DMEPOS benefit category.
Click on a link to jump to the section of the article.
- Modifier AU
- Modifier AV
- Modifier AW
1. Modifier AU
Modifier AU can be appended for HCPCS codes that describe the supply for ostomy, tracheostomy, or urological procedures.
The AU modifier is officially described by HCPCS as: “Item furnished in conjunction with a urological, ostomy, or tracheostomy supply.”
1.2 Billing Guidelines
Report modifier AU with HCPCS codes if a provider reports supplies for;
- A tracheostomy: The provider opens the patient’s windpipe or trachea to remove lung secretions or create an airway.
- An ostomy: The provider creates an opening so the patient can discharge body wastes.
- A urological procedure: Procedures on the male reproductive organs or the male or female urinary tract system.
Report modifier AU with the following HCPCS codes:
- HCPCS A4217: Sterile water/saline, 500 ml.
- HCPCS A4450: Surgical trays,
- HCPCS A4452: Tape, waterproof, per 18 square inches, and
- HCPCS A5120: Skin barrier, wipes or swabs, each.
2. Modifier AV
Modifier AV can be used with HCPCS codes that describe the supply for orthotic or prosthetic devices.
The AV modifier is officially described by HCPCS as: “Item furnished in conjunction with a prosthetic device, prosthetic or orthotic.”
2.2 Billing Guidelines
Report modifier AV with HCPCS codes reported by a provider for supportive devices or manmade body parts replacements. The supplies have to be associated with orthotic or prosthetic devices.
Report modifier AV with the following HCPCS codes:
- HCPCS A5120: Skin barrier, wipes, or swabs, each.
- HCPCS A4452: Tape, waterproof, per 18 square inches.
- HCPCS A4450: Tape, non–waterproof, per 18 square inches.
3. Modifier AW
The AW modifier can be reported with HCPCS codes that are associated with surgical dressing.
Modifier AW is officially described by HCPCS as: “Item furnished in conjunction with a surgical dressing.”
3.2 Billing Guidelines
The AW modifier can be used for HCPCS codes describing surgical dress supplies to prevent infection or encourage healing.
Report Modifier AW, for example, with a:
- compress; or
- sterile bandage